USM 2013 Master Classes:
Sustainable Development, Economy & Society.
Objective: The 2013 USM master classes investigating the topic sustainable development, economy and society are organized as an open group exploration of the topic and dialog in three parts.
- Session 1 sets the stage by introducing and examining the concept the reality of sustainable development, from its origins to this day. Each member of the class will be actively engaged in the presentations and discussions (See below).
- In the second session we shall be looking at the challenge of creating a Sustainable Penang, with particular reference to the challenges and opportunities when it comes to improving the quality of transport, mobility and public space in both the main cities and less dense outlying areas.
- In the final session we shall be looking at the proposed measures and strategy for the 2013-2014 work program thus far developed, and hopefully to be carried out by a number of committed actors in preparation for the eventual world conference on the topic of sustainable transport strategies for smaller locations cities, with a view to seeing if we can engage some of the students to look more closely into some of these specific measures in the course of their own studies, practical focused experience to make the bridge between concepts and the reality of the day to day life.
Time and place: Dewan Kuliah B, USM (Lecture Hall B, USM) . Starting 17:00. 30 Sept., 1 and 2 Oct,
MC 1: introduction to Sustainable Development, Economy & Society. 2013-09-30. 17:00 – 19:00
- Calculate your ecological footprint – http://wp.me/p3GVVk-2w
- Read and comment Sustainable Development Timeline: 1961 – 2012 – http://wp.me/p3GVVk-4v
- Comment your personal mobility profile (Questionnaire: Cars, bikes, public transport, walking, other)
MC 2: Sustainable Penang: Toward a New Mobility Agenda 2013-10-01. 17:00 – 19:30
- Using the Cloud for collaborative projects: https://www.dropbox.com/home/Penang
- Start here. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/33yqbfe9m08pocx/9koOAVhVel/_%20START_HERE%20-%204sep13.doc
- Sustainable Penang : Toward a New Mobility Agenda – https://sustainablepenang.wordpress.com
- Using social media/Supporting Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/SustainablePenang
MC 3: Proposed New Mobility Agenda Action measures/projects for 2013/2014. 2013-10-02. 17:00 – 19:30
- List of projects under discussion to be distributed to class in the second semester test session
# # #