From 21 Sept. to 8 Oct. in Penang, a three-week long civil society program consisting of more than thirty site visits, collaborative dialogues, symposia, master classes, workshops and supporting public events, with the goal of creating a stronger base of local support in favor of a more sustainable transport system to better serve the people of George Town and Penang . Hosted by Think City and numerous local partners, in cooperation with EcoPlan International.
- World Car Free Day celebration and special events (Sunday 22 September)
- Sustainable Penang Inaugural University Lecture (20:00-22:00, 24 Sept. at Universiti Sains Malaysia)
- Focus Group Dialogues (Mornings from 23 Sept. Caring Society Complex. Contact us for schedule)
- Municipal Council Peer Dialogues (MPSP on 1 Oct. and MPPP on 2 Oct. 08:00 to 13:00)
- Symposium on State of the Environment in Penang (3 Oct.. 08:30 on, Caring Society Complex)
- USM University Master Class series (30 Sept. – 3 Oct. 17:00-19:00 at Universiti Sains Malaysia)
- Media presentations and interviews (print and electronic, including blogs and social media)
- Dialogue: 2015 Penang Conference on Implementing Sustainable Transport in Smaller Asian Cities
- State of Sustainable Penang Message (Saturday, 5 October. Municipal Park Amphitheater)
Hosts and Sponsors:
Sustainable Penang is led jointly by Dato’ (Dr.) Anwar Fazal, Chairman of the Board of Think City, Laureate of the Right Livelihood Award and Director, Right Livelihood College, Universiti Sains Malaysia, with Prof. Eric Britton, Managing Director of EcoPlan International, Founder of World Car Free Days, Founding Editor of World Streets, Laureate of the Stockholm Environment Prize with Mayor Enrique Peñalosa of Bogotá, Distinguished Professor of Sustainable Development at the Institut Supérieur de Gestion. The project is supported by the Center for Global Sustainability Studies (CGSS), Malaysia, numerous state and local organizations, NGOs, universities, and by a panel of members of the International Advisory Board of the New Mobility Agenda.
# # #
About the author:
13, rue Pasteur. Courbevoie 92400 France
Bio: Founding editor of World Streets (1988), Eric Britton is an American political scientist, teacher, occasional consultant, mediator and sustainability activist who has observed, learned, taught and worked on missions and advisory assignments on all continents. In the autumn of 2019, he committed his remaining life work to the challenges of aggressively countering climate change and specifically greenhouse gas emissions emanating from the mobility sector. He is not worried about running out of work. Further background and updates: @ericbritton | http://bit.ly/2Ti8LsX | #fekbritton | https://twitter.com/ericbritton | and | https://www.linkedin.com/in/ericbritton/ Contact: email@example.com) | +336 508 80787 (Also WhatApp) | Skype: newmobility.)