From 21 Sept. to 8 Oct. in Penang, a three-week long civil society program consisting of more than thirty site visits, collaborative dialogues, symposia, master classes, workshops and supporting public events, with the goal of creating a stronger base of local support in favor of a more sustainable transport system to better serve the people of George Town and Penang . Hosted by Think City and numerous local partners, in cooperation with EcoPlan International.
- World Car Free Day celebration and special events (Sunday 22 September)
- Sustainable Penang Inaugural University Lecture (20:00-22:00, 24 Sept. at Universiti Sains Malaysia)
- Focus Group Dialogues (Mornings from 23 Sept. Caring Society Complex. Contact us for schedule)
- Municipal Council Peer Dialogues (MPSP on 1 Oct. and MPPP on 2 Oct. 08:00 to 13:00)
- Symposium on State of the Environment in Penang (3 Oct.. 08:30 on, Caring Society Complex)
- USM University Master Class series (30 Sept. – 3 Oct. 17:00-19:00 at Universiti Sains Malaysia)
- Media presentations and interviews (print and electronic, including blogs and social media)
- Dialogue: 2015 Penang Conference on Implementing Sustainable Transport in Smaller Asian Cities
- State of Sustainable Penang Message (Saturday, 5 October. Municipal Park Amphitheater)
Hosts and Sponsors:
Sustainable Penang is led jointly by Dato’ (Dr.) Anwar Fazal, Chairman of the Board of Think City, Laureate of the Right Livelihood Award and Director, Right Livelihood College, Universiti Sains Malaysia, with Prof. Eric Britton, Managing Director of EcoPlan International, Founder of World Car Free Days, Founding Editor of World Streets, Laureate of the Stockholm Environment Prize with Mayor Enrique Peñalosa of Bogotá, Distinguished Professor of Sustainable Development at the Institut Supérieur de Gestion. The project is supported by the Center for Global Sustainability Studies (CGSS), Malaysia, numerous state and local organizations, NGOs, universities, and by a panel of members of the International Advisory Board of the New Mobility Agenda.
# # #
About the author:
9, rue Gabillot, 69003 Lyon France
Bio: Educated as a development economist, Eric Britton is an American political scientist, teacher and international sustainability activist who has lived and worked in Paris since 1969. Professor of Sustainable Development, Economy and Democracy at the Institut Supérieur de Gestion (Paris), he is also MD of EcoPlan Association, an independent advisory network providing strategic counsel for government and business on policy and decision issues involving complex systems, social-technical change and sustainable development. Founding editor of World Streets: The Politics of Transport - https://worldstreets.wordpress.com . | Britton online: https://goo.gl/9CJXTh